[chirp_users] New Daily Build - DOESN'T WORK.

Mike-2007
Thu Jun 7 18:52:17 PDT 2018

Won't argue with a thing you said.....  EXCEPT..... ham radio isn't my only hobby, and I have some software for another hobby that just will not function outside of windows.  Tried on a MAC, tried on Linux, tried some other thing my friend locally has.  Nothing worked.  And this other hobby is more important to me than ham radio.  So I'll just struggle along on Windows-7 (64 bit) and hopefully with the RT Systems cable I won't have the troubles others seem to have here.  Heck, I'd still be using XP if they hadn't quit supporting it!

Perhaps someday someone will write good software for Android, and I'll take my tablet instead of the little Net-Book I carry out now.  But until it happens, I'm on Win-7.  Funny, but I've had no problems on my end.  In fact, this E-mail address was first used in Dec of 2006, and I don't feel a need to change it either, still no SPAM, no virus, no update problems.  I must be doing something right!

Vy73 -- Mike -- KD5KC.

From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Chuck Hast
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2018 19:14
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] New Daily Build - DOESN'T WORK.

Well all of that said, I would still get me a little ol' machine that will run some
light version of Linux be done with it.

Oh by the way, Linux may not be DESKTOP mainstream but almost every
flat screen TV, home router, GPS and other "smart" devices run on it. Add the
Android (Linux kernel) and I am sorry but I think that dealing with the pain
and agony of MS windows is just not worth it when my Linux boxen just keep
going, and going and going and going...

You could always get a RPi and run it on that, I have one I use exactly for
that so I can have something small to run Chirp on for those times when I
want to use a tablet or phone to program a radio...

So yes there are plenty of alternatives, but you have to be willing to look at
those alternatives, the authors chose and chose well, I have some DMR
radios and all of them fall into M$ hell in one form or another, I generally
try to use them on Wine, but they are all cantankerous. Chirp just works,
(Not for DMR but that is a whole other can of worms)

BIG THANK YOU TO THE GUYS WHO WRITE THE CODE!! KEEP IT UP
IT IS VERY FINE CODE.

I had to deal with Windows in various industries, it was a real education in
how something so messed up can become so pervasive just because the
organization behind it is more of a marketing org.

My mom has a Win 10 machine, the applications will not talk to the printer,
but the printer application will do so, all of the applications can SEE the
printer, they just cannot talk to it. I tried to fix it, the logs were obnoxious,
she brought in someone paid to fix it, he came way and said "there is
something wrong with the OS". I am getting ready to move her to Linux
and stop that sort of thing.

As amateur radio ops we need to be more open, when you are stuck on
one OS, it is like being in a mono-culture country, when that particular
mono-culture ag product gets a plague the whole country is up a creek.

I can run Chip on LInux (prefered) probably most any other Unix based
OS without too much work, Mac and if needed Windows... I have tried
not to be mono-culture, but have my preferred solution.

On Thu, Jun 7, 2018 at 4:36 PM, Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF <nigel at ngunn.net> wrote:
However, most of my radio require TX and rx on one wire so I guess there is an alternative for that.

> On 07 June 2018 at 16:50 John La <Johnla at usa.net> wrote:
>

> There's always the convert the cable for $1.50 solution.
> http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgrCable.php
>
> John  K3NXU

Chirp + Editcp + MD380Tools on Linux
Celestial!!!