[chirp_users] inexpensive Dual Band Mobile radios?

bill at riess.us
Tue Nov 10 13:09:42 PST 2015

As Shon, K2QT mentioned I agree that the Baofeng UV-82 series is a good
choice at a low cost.

They have a good build quality and have a higher duty cycle than the UV5R
series.

(My UV5RV2+ failed during a long rag chewing session, the UV-82 has done
fine with similar sessions.)

For about $15-$20 more, the UV-82HP has higher power. 7 watts as opposed to
5.

For a dual band mobile, the Anytone AT-5888UV has 50 VHF and 40 UHF Watts
and provides dual watch and some other features, but is ~$290.00.

There are others in that price range, but the above is the only one I have
experienced.

The low cost radios are lower wattage (which may not matter depending on
expected use), I don't know anyone that has one - so cannot comment on the
quality.

As you mention, if you move away from dual band, Yaesu, Kenwood, etc. can be
had for <$175.

Hard choices, good luck :)

73

Bill Riess

Bill at BillRiess.com <mailto:Bill at BillRiess.com>

Or Bill at Riess.us <mailto:Bill at Riess.us>

P: +1 847 394 5312

C: +1 847 917 8479

Callsign: KW9WR