[drats_users] D-RATS & Multi-port TNCs

Josh Housey
Sat Jan 21 21:03:15 PST 2012

All,

The name here is Josh and the location is Sheboygan, Wisconsin (roughly 50 mi N of Milwaukee).

I have some questions about the use of a "multi-port" TNC for using D-RATS. Currently, I have a KPC-2 (two 1200bps ports) that would like to try using D-RATS.  I have gone through the D-RATS documentation and verified and put in the following:

added the TNC's port (called packet_port1/packet_port2) and speed (9600), set the D-RATS port as "0" (first port) and/or "1" (second port). enabled ax25, set a path as "NONE" (no digipeater for first port), "NONE2" (other port).

Is this set correctly for D-RATS for the TNC? I think it is but not 100% sure...

When I launch D-RATS, the first port states its connected (keys that up) but the second port states it cannot connect. When I go to preferences and save, for some reason, it is able to connect to the second packet port. However, for some reason, its not able to key the second port and don't receive anything from either port. When I launch from the command line, I get something that with the "buffer for certain size (66 bytes for example) and TNC is partially full".

I tried a little different and turned off the second port when it started up and then when I launched D-RATS, it found the first and then activated the second one and it finds it. When I attempt to transmit on both, that works. However, I get the same "buffer" msg that I mentioned above.

My question, is that has anyone able to try using a multi-port packet TNC for D-RATS? What have been done to get this to work and possibly better? One of the reasons I have decided to undertake this is was I am able to use D-RATS on kiss mode with a D7A. It is actually a much practical solution for packet to do with a non-windows netbook (Linux) for various purposes (chatting, messaging and/or GPS)

If I end up not getting to this work, its not the end of the world. One of the packet ports that I have set may get dedicated to D-STAR data for D-RATS reflector/simplex purposes fully or part-time and to use packet for a "backup" purpose. The other packet end will probably be a full-blown packet port that I would actually like to remain fully attached to D-RATS. Once again, I think it may serve more of a purpose with that...

Any help and/or suggestions will be very appreciated.

73
Josh, AB9FT