[drats_users] D-RATS 0.3.3b4

Dan Smith
Sun Sep 12 09:23:55 PDT 2010

> will the email sent from d-rats pc using the tnc-x over the air to a
> tnc-x on a JNOS BBS work and from the JNOS BBS to the tnc-x on the
> d-rats pc?

No, it will not.  AX.25 is the underlying layer 2/3 protocol for JNOS
and the like, with a layer 4 messaging protocol on top.  D-RATS
implements only layer 2, so it can't (a) do connected-mode sessions or
(b) speak the B2 messaging protocol of JNOS.

I like JNOS myself, but I have no intentions on bridging the upper
layers of the legacy packet stuff with D-RATS at this time.  I'm only
adding the layer 2 AX.25 stuff to be able to leverage existing
digipeater hardware.