[drats_users] Automatic Sending AND GETTING mails from Winlink CMS through D-Rats?

la7um Finn
Sat Oct 9 12:18:36 PDT 2010

Thanks again Dan for answering the threads.
A lot of bonuses to be mentioned below. Congrats.

The ability to be a RF only  Winlink CLIENT on all platforms; Windows, Mac
(Intel only, sorry) and Linux does make it unique :-)

1:Bonus!
You can operate D-Rats (on different OS platforms)  from the field directly
in D-Star DV mode to a dedicated D-Rats station with internet gateway if
such a gateway is established. This confirmed possible by Dan. But not
common yet.

(Without the Client RF-only station in the field needing Parallell for Mac
or Wine for Linux to be able running WIndows)

2:Bonus!
In addition D-Rats is the ONLY NON WINDOWS CLIENT in the field RF only SW
wich can operate towards Winlink RMS PACKET.
These servers RMS PACKET do exist in Windows and Linux versions, so that's
ok, but no Mac or Linux CLIENT program.

Even with the mentioned speed limitations I thus see a Big bonus for the
D-Rats program.

3: A special case Question:
Peer to Peer (  D-rats <=> Airmail v. 3.4.034 latest Ham version).
This version has a mode callled D-Star.
I believe (not having it confirmed)  that 2 Airmail stations can run peer to
peer D-Star, probably with B2F compression?
But I am not aware of any RMS D-Star as gateway to a Winlink CMS, exept your
developed teqnique running D-Rats.

Is D-Rats (RF in the field only, or as a RF/Internet gateway)  able to
handle a connect from an Airmail station running either  D-Star or AX-25. ?
If yes, is the compression then in both cases B2F ?

4: HF issue.
Since D-Rats is the ONLY NON WINDOWS Winlink Client program it is a pity
that it cannot handle any Winlink HF RMS.
But very understandable. And it is easy to be an unqualified  "wisher".
Rome was not built in one day.

I wonder if the least difficult programming task might be an add on making
it running a Pactor tnc of any kind. SCS-PTC2, KAM+, PK232

This since you must already have made B2F compression routines (like it or
not) to be able to run AX-25 towards a RMS Packet.

This as a wish list  while we are waiting for the ongoing process of porting
WINMOR to a fashion hopefully with the same options as built into the
virtual WINMOR TNC. I believe the Winlink linux guys intend to make a LINUX
RMS WINMOR, but off course taking a long time.

73 de la7um Finn