[drats_users] Automatic Sending AND GETTING mails from Winlink CMS through D-Rats?

Dan Smith
Sat Oct 9 07:45:57 PDT 2010

> About the semi automatic aspect here, I do interpret your answer Dan,
> that it is possible to install AN UNMANNED D-Rats station running D-Star
> somewhere with an internet connection.

Correct, I do it all the time.

> And that what is needed to be done manually BOTH WAYS is just needed
> ONLY at the RF only- based manned station in the field.

Yes.

> He off course have to SEND is mail adressed to go through the Winlink
> system.
> And the same person in the field off course do need to make a poll
> manually to check for any respons. Like any Winlink client.
>
> Is this conclusion regarding a possibility of an UNMANNED automatic
> D-Rats gateway correct? :-) (Like kind of RMS D-rats-star)

Yes, correct.

> What is the most speedy, and/or most robust mode for a D-Rats station in
> the field: Thinking of same band in both cases. 2m or 70cm.
> 1: Running D-star down to an unmanned D-rats gateway to internet Winlink?
> or
> 2: Running AX-25 with a TNC at the same D-rats station in the field down
> to a RMS PACKET at the same unmanned internet station?

I think that #1 will still outperform #2, if you're using a 1200 baud
TNC.  The TNCs have very small buffers and so a lot of time is wasted
with the "back and forth".  I think that at 9600 that you would likely
do much better.

> Or to be even more radical, (or possibly even more stupid to ask), For
> such a dedicated DATA-Only frequency:
> Is it possible to speed the DV up, by splitting the total amount of data
> to be transferred into one part in D-Stars digital segment, and the
> other part DD=>AD and put as sound into D-Stars fec protected Voice
> segment, and in the other end AD=>DD and merged with the standard data
> transfer?
> Maybe putting Winmor,  or AX-25 Packet sounds or whatever  into this
> UNUSED voice part?  (On a special dedicated freq. off course)

I think I already answered this in another thread with you.  However,
for the benefit of the group:

Since D-STAR uses a vocoder for the voice side, I don't think that you'd
have much luck with digital modulation at any reasonable speed.

I think that the bottom line is that if you want faster data transport,
you need to use something other than D-STAR.  The ID-1 provides a faster
transport, for sure, but D-RATS is relatively inefficient at
transferring bulk data at those speeds since it wasn't designed for it.