[drats_users] Automatic Sending AND GETTING mails from Winlink CMS through D-Rats?

Mike Heitmann
Thu Oct 7 08:15:57 PDT 2010

I have used D-RATS as my e-mail client to fetch mail from a server (a pop
server, I believe). If you can fetch Winlink mail with an e-mail client like
outlook or thunderbird over the Internet you should be able to fetch it with
D-RATS too.

That said, I have not done it for a while, and I've not used Winlink, FWIW.

I beleive the manual forwarding of received mail is still required, but take a
look at the most recent beta release: It may support mail checks for authorizes
stations.

Mike, N0SO

________________________________
From: "la7um at nrrl.no" <la7um at nrrl.no>
To: drats_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
Sent: Wed, October 6, 2010 6:56:58 PM
Subject: [drats_users] Automatic Sending AND GETTING mails from Winlink CMS
through D-Rats?

Hi. Is it possible to retrieve Winlink mail AUTOMATICALLY by a REMOTE RF-D-rats
user who on radio do reach another D-Rats station who happens to have internet
connection?

I mean automatically, not needing that the D-Rats station with the internet
connection do have to MANUALLY forward the receiverd Winlink mail to the remote
R-Rats user.

According to my reading,  (not yet installed anything, running an old Power Mac)
a remote RF-only D-rats station can automatically SEND a Winlink message through
such a gateway.

But somewhere I have read that the owner of the internett connected D-rats
station do have to MANUALLY forward such a message to the remote RF only
station.

Is this restriction still vallid?

Why this question?
I am thinking of setting up an automatic  70cm D-Rats station (if possible) as
part of a local ham group arrangement with internet.
And I am not talking about an ordinary voice Repeater,  that is done very well
by our neighbouring group, but may be running this 70cm D-Star frequency through
a better located IC 2820  (without internet) as a crossband mini-repeater. If
that is possible.
That particular D-Rats station could possibly be set up to ONLY allow mails TOO
and FROM Winlink system.

Any restrictions at the time beeing? If restrictions, is it plans for making the
automatically way possible

Question 2:
The B2F Winlink Compression, is that done already from the Remote client RF-Only
station, or is it done at the gateway site with the internet?

Question 3:
If a remote RF D-rats station is to use AX-25 Kiss, mode, to go through a RMS
PACKET, I do assume that this B2F compression do HAVE to be done at the Client
site. Since the RMS PACKET does not know what kind of station is the Client.
Correct?

73 and thanks in advance from Finn, La7um.