[drats_users] Automatic Sending AND GETTING mails from Winlink CMS through D-Rats?

Dan Smith
Fri Oct 8 07:14:12 PDT 2010

> But somewhere I have read that the owner of the internett connected
> D-rats station do have to MANUALLY forward such a message to the remote
> RF only station.

You have to manually ask the remote station to check your winlink mail
each time, but the messages that the remote station downloads for you
will be automatically transmitted from the remote station to you.

> Question 2:
> The B2F Winlink Compression, is that done already from the Remote client
> RF-Only station, or is it done at the gateway site with the internet?

It is done at the station that is gatewaying between RF and the
Internet/Winlink servers.  After the message is downloaded and decoded,
the message is then in D-RATS format and uses D-RATS compression.

> Question 3:
> If a remote RF D-rats station is to use AX-25 Kiss, mode, to go through
> a RMS PACKET, I do assume that this B2F compression do HAVE to be done
> at the Client site. Since the RMS PACKET does not know what kind of
> station is the Client. Correct?

The decompression happens at the first D-RATS station in the chain. So,
if your D-RATS gateway is talking to winlink via RMS station, then the
B2F decompression happens at that D-RATS gateway.