[drats_users] USB adaptors

Dan Smith
Tue Nov 2 10:57:28 PDT 2010

> I wish we could put somewhere on the D-RATS site which adaptors "seem
> to work" and which ones don't.  I know that everyone's results may not
> be the same, but at least we might have a chance picking one that has
> worked for others.  I realize that Dan doesn't really want to
> recommend anything (I wouldn't either).  I have a computer without
> RS-232 ports, and I don't even want to try D-RATS on it because of the
> unknown quantity of USB adaptors I might need to try.
> Just my thoughts...

Here is the problem with that:

First, there are only a few companies that actually make USB adapters.
All the others just manufacture the plastic around the chip (and
sometimes configure the chip to do specific things).  These companies
tend to use whatever chip variant (and sometimes even different chips)
according to the supply availability the week of production.  They can
hide these differences in the driver so that you don't really know or
notice which variant you have.

Further, I have *only* had trouble with specific adapters on Windows.
Anything with a prolific chip on Linux seems to be fine.  I'd hate to
discourage someone from buying a cheap one that is easily available
because they think it might not work when in fact it would.

With that said, I'm not averse to listing some particularly heinous
adapters, if there is good reason.  I also have no problem listing the
ones that are a sure bet (like the Keyspan adapter).

If someone would volunteer to collect and filter reports of specific
adapters (brands, model numbers, revisions) and send me a list, I'll
post it in a FAQ entry or something similar.  Sound okay?