[drats_users] USB adaptors

W4UOC at aol.com
Tue Nov 2 13:08:05 PDT 2010

I have successfully used D-Rats with various USB/Serial adapters but have
found the Belkin one to work the most reliably.

Tom Koch - W4UOC

In a message dated 11/2/2010 1:57:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dsmith at danplanet.com writes:

> I  wish we could put somewhere on the D-RATS site which adaptors "seem
> to  work" and which ones don't.  I know that everyone's results may  not
> be the same, but at least we might have a chance picking one that  has
> worked for others.  I realize that Dan doesn't really want  to
> recommend anything (I wouldn't either).  I have a computer  without
> RS-232 ports, and I don't even want to try D-RATS on it  because of the
> unknown quantity of USB adaptors I might need to  try.
> Just my thoughts...

Here is the problem with  that:

First, there are only a few companies that actually make USB  adapters.
All the others just manufacture the plastic around the chip (and
sometimes configure the chip to do specific things).  These companies
tend to use whatever chip variant (and sometimes even different chips)
according to the supply availability the week of production.  They  can
hide these differences in the driver so that you don't really know or
notice which variant you have.

Further, I have *only* had trouble  with specific adapters on Windows.
Anything with a prolific chip on Linux  seems to be fine.  I'd hate to
discourage someone from buying a cheap  one that is easily available
because they think it might not work when in  fact it would.

With that said, I'm not averse to listing some  particularly heinous
adapters, if there is good reason.  I also have  no problem listing the
ones that are a sure bet (like the Keyspan  adapter).

If someone would volunteer to collect and filter reports of  specific
adapters (brands, model numbers, revisions) and send me a list,  I'll
post it in a FAQ entry or something similar.  Sound  okay?

--
Dan  Smith

drats_users  mailing  list
drats_users at intrepid.danplanet.com