[drats_users] USB adaptors

Arnold Harding
Tue Nov 2 10:40:48 PDT 2010

**  see bottom  **
>> Hope this helps someone else in the future.  I was using a Prolific
>> USB to Serial converter.  Interestingly it does work with the ICOM
>> CS-2820 Software for programming etc...
>
> I use D-RATS exclusively with USB adapters these days, as do most
> everyone else I know.  I have definitely run across some bad ones,
> but
> in general you should be fine.
>
> With regards to it "working for CS-2820"... The process of
> programming
> the radio doesn't use any flow control, nor does it require it
> because
> the radio can swallow the data being sent at the full rate.  This is
> different from DV mode transport where the incoming and outgoing
> rates
> differ by an order of magnitude.  The part the USB adapters often
> get
> wrong is in the handling/buffering of the flow control signals.

I wish we could put somewhere on the D-RATS site which adaptors "seem
to work" and which ones don't.  I know that everyone's results may not
be the same, but at least we might have a chance picking one that has
worked for others.  I realize that Dan doesn't really want to
recommend anything (I wouldn't either).  I have a computer without
RS-232 ports, and I don't even want to try D-RATS on it because of the
unknown quantity of USB adaptors I might need to try.
Just my thoughts...

Arnold
KQ6DI