[drats_users] D-RATS email - I think I understand

William Waters
Wed Jul 21 14:52:00 PDT 2010

Dan, Debbie, Mike,

Thanks so much for your replies.

I now understand ( I hope).  I was thinking D-Rats email was similar to
WinLink and that it had the predefined ability to connect to a message
mailbox that would rout emails out to the web, and then back as the case may
be.  I was hoping that I could do my testing and learning using a single
radio and do it on my own and not have to work/bother others as I "Tinkered"
at things.  Likewise I don't like tying up the B Node of the repeater for
too long at a time for non emergency activities (though I have never heard
anyone on that node).  It looks like to get play time with D-RATS and the
like, I need a second D-STAR radio.

So my understanding of email message handling is this:

Local Simplex:

D-RATS Client1 <---> RADIO1 <****> RADIO2 <---> D-RATS Client2 (with network
connection) <===> Forward email

Local email using Repeater:

D-RATS Client1 <---> RADIO1 <****> Repeater <****> RADIO2 <---> D-RATS
Client2 (with network connection) <==> Forward email

Email  through a Gateway:

D-RATS Client1 <---> RADIO1 <****> Repeater/Gateway <==> Repeater/Gateway
<****> RADIO2 <---> D-RATS Client2 (with network connection <==> Forward
email

And This does not exist (yet):

D-RATS Client1 <---> RADIO1 <****> Repeater/Gateway <==> D-RATS Email
Reflector <==> Auto-Forward email

One last Question?  Can I use a DVDongle to take the place of the second
Radio?

Thanks for the help,

Will - N7IPY

engineer1 at surewest.net