[drats_users] d-rats email / map use ?

Dan Smith
Thu Oct 15 15:57:28 PDT 2009

> - Regarding the email option in D-RATS that allows “/an email message
> can be created…by a remote user in the field and transferred across
> D-STAR to a properly configured internet connected D-RATS station at
> which time the email message will automatically be sent to the
> internet/”.  My question is, how would a D-RATS user know that the
> internet connected D-RATS station exists?  Is this something that you
> would have to have figured out (and known about) in advance?  Or is
> there a node list available?  Or do you get on the D-RATS reflector and
> “broadcast” this availability using a specific icon?

No such node list at the moment, no.  If people are interested in doing
this, we can certainly start keeping a node list on the website.

> - And, what does the option of “broadcast this location” do in the map view?

It lets you broadcast a random position on the map as if someone was
standing there with a radio and a GPS.

> - Finally, I have found the D-RATS archives and am wondering if there
> was a way to search them other than going through the subjects.

You might try using google for this.  Putting the following before a
search string will limit google to the archives:

  site:lists.danplanet.com

So, for example:

  site:lists.danplanet.com email gateway

might yield you some hits.  It is limited to the current set of indexed
pages, but google indexes that site quite regularly.