[drats_users] 91AD issues

Nate Duehr
Fri May 1 17:33:21 PDT 2009

Arnold Harding wrote:
> I'm having problems getting my IC-91AD to talk D-RATS.  Actually it does
> communicate with simple Ping and some chat messages, but no file
> exchanges at all.  It doesn't seem to matter if I'm trying to go through
> a repeater, or simplex, I get just about the same problems.  I can use
> the repeater easily with 5 watts with my 2820, and when the 91AD is
> using the same antenna and high power, it really isn't happy communicating.

When you say "isn't happy", can you be more specific?

Is it not transmitting (a sign that the wimpier front-end on that HT
receiver might be being overloaded and tricked into keeping the HT off
the air because it sees the channels as "busy"), or is it a higher
bit-error rate issue?

(I find that the reason Icom seems to have included the "Attenuator"
feature is to alleviate the first problem above... crank up the
attenuator on the ID800H or the IC91/92AD to knock down the
intermod/noise the receivers are "hearing".)

When you compare 5W on the 2820 to the HT, is the HT on the same antenna?

> I attached screen captures of the 91AD Digital and Common settings in
> hope that someone sees what I have been unable to see.

I didn't look through ALL of them, but a quick skim didn't see anything
grossly misconfigured.

Nate WY0X