[drats_users] D-RATS BBS feature develompent

Nate Duehr
Fri Feb 13 16:54:00 PST 2009

Other than it's starting to sound like WinLink for D-STAR...?  ;-)

Actually WinLink would -- and does -- work over D-STAR if you keep the
message sizes small, and set it to use a "serial port", which is actually
the radio.  We've tried it.

It doesn't understand to unkey every three minutes, however... so it dies
above a certain message size.  I doubt it would recover well on errors,
other than it tries the entire transmission again, but it does work... it'd
take them about 10 minutes to add a checkbox to handle D-STAR as a serial
port in a "dumb" fashion, if they were interested.  I doubt they are.

(For the record: I'm not a big WinLink fan, some other locals wanted to try
it, so we did.)

Nate WY0X