[drats_users] D-RATS and DV-Dongle

Tony Langdon, VK3JED
Thu Aug 27 18:37:56 PDT 2009

At 11:12 AM 8/28/2009, you wrote:
> > If you can determine they're empty without having to involve the
> Dongle.  ;)
>
>I don't think it's a matter of talking to the dongle, as that
>communication is rather slow to begin with.  I think the problem with a
>netbook is capturing the audio, shuffling it to the dongle, from the
>dongle, and out the network port at a constant (and fast enough rate).

I thought a lot of the issue was being able to keep up with
communication with the dongle, given that the actual DSP is being
performed in the AMBE chip in the dongle itself.  I could be wrong though.

>DVTool knows the packets are empty if it's transmitting because D-RATS
>sent some data to it (i.e. it knows you didn't press the PTT button) so
>it knows it doesn't need to capture/send audio.  I think a netbook is
>fast enough to just monitor incoming audio (i.e. not transmit), right?

For outgoing audio, yes.  I think I had issues both ways when I ran
DVTool on the netbook.

>Anyway, Robin's opinion is the only one that matters, so I'll stop
>speculating :)

Agree. ;)

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com