[drats_users] D-RATS and DV-Dongle

Dan Smith
Thu Aug 27 18:12:45 PDT 2009

> If you can determine they're empty without having to involve the Dongle.  ;)

I don't think it's a matter of talking to the dongle, as that
communication is rather slow to begin with.  I think the problem with a
netbook is capturing the audio, shuffling it to the dongle, from the
dongle, and out the network port at a constant (and fast enough rate).

DVTool knows the packets are empty if it's transmitting because D-RATS
sent some data to it (i.e. it knows you didn't press the PTT button) so
it knows it doesn't need to capture/send audio.  I think a netbook is
fast enough to just monitor incoming audio (i.e. not transmit), right?

Anyway, Robin's opinion is the only one that matters, so I'll stop
speculating :)