[drats_users] map all gps positions option

Dan Smith
Wed Aug 19 09:08:30 PDT 2009

> At one time, the map showed all of the GPS position reports received
> as a station moved, so more and more dots would collect.  I think it
> was considered a bug, and fixed so only the most recent report shows,
> as it should be.

Well, it was definitely a bug because there was code to prevent it that
was not working :)

> If it isn't too difficult, could it be an option?  It's nice to be
> able to see where communications worked and didn't work, and the line
> of dots can help find that sweet spot.  If it's difficult, or might
> cause some other undesirable problem, then I wouldn't consider it.

Yeah, it's probably a good idea.  It's a bit of a "can of worms" because
along with the ability to keep the history, you generally also want to
be able to delete, summarize, save, etc that history.

How about for the time being, I add a flag that lets you say "keep
history" or some such.  This would stamp the time (or something) on
incoming reports so that "KK7DS" would become "KK7DS.08190906".  When
the next report from that station arrived, it would be similarly
stamped, but since it's a different name at that point, the existing
code would consider it different and not replace the old report.  This
would then let you use the existing delete-a-point function to delete a
received point in time.

It's a bit of a hack, but it's something I could do in an afternoon.
Would that be worth it?