[drats_users] D-RATS 0.3.0b5

Dan Smith
Wed Apr 29 06:35:24 PDT 2009

> That made it all clear...

Glad you guys got it working...

> Dan, I noticed that in the latest Beta's there's a "Ratflector
> password" box, but I didn't see any way to set one in the Reflector
> app itself.  Is that an unfinished feature?

Kinda.  If you want to restrict users to your ratflector, you create a
users.txt file in the working directory with lines of "user pass" in
it.  If you do that, the ratflector app will require a password.

However, I don't have the UI elements in the ratflector itself yet to
authenticate itself to another one.

> Understanding that remote Ratflector users can't hear or see our
> local voice traffic... so there's ample opportunity for "clashes",
> and I've published my phone number to reach me to shut it down, so
> we'll have it up for a little while...
>
> No plans for this to be permanent... just trying to gather up some
> interest in the area in trying out all the D-RATS software can do.

The path of net user -> ratflector -> rf user -> repeater -> rf user
is definitely a little shaky.  There's a lot of delay there and the
network user doesn't see how long it takes to send the packet, so it
can get a little impatient.  So, just don't expect it to be all
perfect in that scenario.  However, for some basic chatting and stuff
it should be fine.  I'll be interested to hear about any more
significant testing you do too.