[drats_users] sending a file

Dan Smith
Wed Apr 22 18:15:10 PDT 2009

> I'm sure that being clued in, I can now figure it out.  My biggest
> concern is that after our experience last weekend, we want to be
> able to recommend it.  If we recommend it, but need to have a
> disclaimer that it can't be figured out without help, that wouldn't
> be the best.  The program will soon get to the point where many
> people will use it, and they will either ask for help, or get
> frustrated and abandon it.

Similarly, if people have no idea that it can do things like retrieve
files from remote stations without the remote operator's intervention
because it's buried so deep in the UI, I think that's a problem.  My
attempts to train non-techy people with such skills over the last six
months led to much of this.

Not that the "number of clicks" is the end-all of measurements, but
when someone is hunting around for a particular function, it can be
quite useful.  I'd dare someone who has never used D-RATS to find how
to retrieve a file from a remote station in under ten clicks with
0.2... :) With the appropriate amount of hinting (and no expectation
of how things were in 0.2) I think 0.3 is an improvement in that
regard.

> I do want someone attempting to use it in the field to not need an
> internet connection to understand the program.

I completely agree.  It would be great to have a PDF manual describing
(at least) some basic activities that people need to be able to
accomplish in the field.  If someone wants to work on that, I'm more
than happy to put it on the website and/or include it with the
download (with proper attribution of course).

Anybody interested in taking that on, or at least contributing to it?