[drats_users] cables

Dan Smith
Wed Apr 22 07:30:28 PDT 2009

Hi Steinar,

> I have search a little around and I can only find 'data cable' but
> with no ID numbers, same for (I guess USB-RS232), which cable and
> where to get them.

For D-RATS data, you need an OPC-1384, which has the Mini-DIN
connector on one end and a DB9 on the other.  To convert it to USB,
you'll need a USB-to-serial adapter.  Any prolific-based (which is
about 90% of them) or FTDI-based device should work with any operating
system.

> Is it the same cable for CHIPER?

No, for CHIRP you need an OPC-478, but you can use the same USB
adapter with it that you need for the data cable.

> I have heard that many USB->RS232 cable do not support HW handshake
> DTR,CTS etc, some are not good for Linux etc.  I guess a cable with
> USB->RS232 HW handshake signals are the best ??  Which/Where to get
> good cables to

The radios don't do hardware flow control anyway, so it doesn't matter
if your USB device supports it or not.  For Linux, any Prolific or
FTDI-based device will be auto-detected and "just work".

> Do you know if I need some special SW drivers to install on Ubuntu
> in order to communicate with ID-800/D-Rats ?

Nope, as long as you get a common adapter you just need to plug it
in.  No drivers :)

> D-rats looks interesting.  Can we remote (by SW) change ID-800's
> frequency also with D-rats?

Nope.  The ID-800 does not have rig-control so it can't be controlled
from the PC.

Good luck!