[drats_users] cables

Steinar Wenaas
Wed Apr 22 00:36:16 PDT 2009

Dear Community,
LA7XQ, Norway here.
I am new to the Drats community.
I have a ICOM ID-800 and a Laptop PC (no serial) with Ubuntu 8.10
I want to hook up.

Could you guys tell me which cables/how to connect between the Laptop and
the
ID-800.

I have search a little around and I can only find 'data cable' but with no
ID numbers, same for (I guess USB-RS232), which cable and where to get them.
Is it the same cable for CHIPER?
I have heard that many USB->RS232 cable do not support HW handshake DTR,CTS
etc,
some are not good for Linux etc.
I guess a cable with USB->RS232 HW handshake signals are the best ??
Which/Where to get good cables to get my Laptop happpy with CHIPER and
D-RATS ?
Do you know if I need some special SW drivers to install on Ubuntu in order
to communicate with
ID-800/D-Rats ?
D-rats looks interesting.
Can we remote (by SW) change ID-800's frequency also with D-rats?
Best Rgs LA7XQ