[drats_users] Possible Who Is Online feature request

Barry A. Wilson
Wed Apr 22 03:50:33 PDT 2009

Hmmmm,

   Nate Duehr said:

>Doesn't have to be that tricky.  You could send any known message (known
>to both sides, hard-coded into the app) and determine whether or not
>it's being received correctly at the far-end.

>Example:  Send ten lines that say...

>"The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."

>When the other end gets:

>"The qwecbniojn bra1136 fox jumped over the Y^$#A dog."

>The signal just ain't good enough for D-RATS use!  (GRIN!)

>(Okay, the example is silly, a bit pattern or something else could be
>"smarter", but you get the idea.  As long as both ends know what the
>TEST message is SUPPOSED to be, the stronger station can send back
>"Received 1/10 test patterns."  Or "Received 10/10 test patterns."  Etc.

>No need to get fancy.  (GRIN!)

That's pretty fancy using "The quick brown fox"... lo and behold we used
"RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYR" on radio-teletype to sync up our signals in the military
Before ever sending a pattern like "The quick brown fox" which was used just
To go through the entire alphabet. So with the RY sent say 10 times you
could
measure if it all occurred in order or other letters appeared... if not then
however often it didn't occur in order would be a measure of distortion. If
looking at RY on an oscilloscope it also gives a perfect mark and space
figure
eight!

Ooppsss.. we shouldn't do things like the military.. sorry forgot!

Barry A. Wilson KAØBBQ
D-STAR  UR=/WØCDS  B
DD A 1299.9000 RPS
DV A 1283.9625 -12.000