[drats_users] Possible Who Is Online feature request

Dan Smith
Tue Apr 21 16:31:27 PDT 2009

> Hmm, I thought there was some bug in the Echo that you don't always
> get back what you sent into it?  (I could be WAY wrong there, but I
> seem to recall something about that in a list somewhere, many moons
> ago...?)

I'm talking about echo ping, which is what I'm working on, not the
gateway echo (I confused you by referring to different echos).

Last I tried it, it seemed to work better.  Admittedly, I'm sans
gateway at the moment, so... :)

> Yeah, that'd work!  (GRIN!)  I guess it doesn't really
> matter... could start with small and ramp up as you originally were
> thinking.  What'd be really interesting is a way to automate it for
> someone "right on the fringe" where it'd try small stuff, then make
> it bigger and "see" if things got worse (which they would if the
> person was having only a VERY slight amount of lost bits).

Yep, wait and see what I have in the next version.  I think it will do
what you want.  I plan to have a wizard-like interface with various
tests you can run.

> Yeah, understand.  Not quite the benefit that was seen in Packet by
> getting everyone on a high-mountain repeater... that switching was
> always fast enough that it helped eliminate the "hidden node"
> problem where one station can't hear the majority of others
> communicating direct, while not really adding that many more
> collisions.

Right, a D-STAR repeater running duplex guarantees a hidden
transmitter for a specific portion of the time, which makes it really
(really) hard.