[drats_users] report from Colorado D-STAR Tuesday night Net of D-RATS Beta

Nate Duehr
Tue Apr 14 21:23:45 PDT 2009

Dan Smith wrote:
>> 0.3.0b1 worked great for us tonight here in Colorado.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> - Old file transfer status was easier to read than watching the
>> Event Log.
>
> The transfer status is echoed in the status bar at the bottom of the
> screen, right?  I don't actually go to the event log to watch the
> status of individual transfers any more.

I probably missed that.  So did WB5PJB.  Will look closer.  :-)

> What would you prefer?  A box that pops up?  I suppose I could make
> that an option: whether or not you get a box or transfers just happen
> in the background.

Nah, pop-ups are annoying.  Just need to re-train the eyeballs to look
in the right place.  Maybe a "progress bar".  If you had multiple
transfers going, not sure how that'd look, though.

>> - Didn't see any indication of number of retries anymore.
>
> Did you get retries?  I might have left that out of the new status
> format line, I'll have to check.

Again, I may have been looking in the wrong place.

>> - Ping to other stations doesn't show their version number anymore.
>
> It does unless they've overridden it in their settings.  Since people
> seem so keen on changing that, I've thought of having a separate
> "check remote version" command.  I can integrate this into the
> right-click menu for the stations side-bar.

Ahhh.

> Thanks a lot for the report, Nate.  Any of the above that you feel
> strongly about would be appreciated as tracker items :)

I threw one in there.  Default settings for transfers, etc... to help
people get back from "Wow, I really messed that up" mode.

> Thanks also for the suggestion of the "restore defaults" button.
> That's a good call and could probably be useful in more bits of the
> config than just the tuning part.

Hmm, yeah now that I think about it.... but I wouldn't want to to
default EVERYTHING... just the window you're in... maybe a "DEFAULT ALL"
would be good with one of those dumb "Are you SURE (Y/N)?" type of
pop-ups... but something like that could make things worse if someone
were to get wild with it.  :-)

I just tried some "through the repeater" transfers from my HT and a
laptop back to the ID-800H "in the shack" and it didn't go very well...
obviously my signal into the repeater sucks on the HT.

I attempted various things, including sending chat messages and
"connecting" to both my home station and another person's.  His station
completely stopped responding after it listed his files... like it got
caught in some never-never land after my signal was bad.  And the home
station was so close (I was out on the front sidewalk), that it was
desensing the HT something fierce.

Sure a good "simulator" for really bad signals both ways!  But obviously
I'll have to really "go mobile" and get away from the big signal of the
Diamond at 22' from the ID-800H to really try it through the repeater.

I'll try some simplex stuff if I have enough battery power on everything
(mostly the laptop -- it's my work laptop and they won't buy it a new
battery so I get about 30 minutes and then it's dead... LOL!), but I'm
sure that'll work...

Nate WY0X