[drats_users] report from Colorado D-STAR Tuesday night Net of D-RATS Beta

Dan Smith
Wed Apr 15 06:40:26 PDT 2009

> Nah, pop-ups are annoying.  Just need to re-train the eyeballs to
> look in the right place.  Maybe a "progress bar".  If you had
> multiple transfers going, not sure how that'd look, though.

That's my feeling, but I can see how someone might appreciate one.

It can be optional (and doesn't have to default to "on").  Does anyone
else think that would help?

> Hmm, yeah now that I think about it.... but I wouldn't want to to
> default EVERYTHING... just the window you're in... maybe a "DEFAULT
> ALL" would be good with one of those dumb "Are you SURE (Y/N)?" type
> of pop-ups... but something like that could make things worse if
> someone were to get wild with it.  :-)

Right, I meant individual config groups.

> I just tried some "through the repeater" transfers from my HT and a
> laptop back to the ID-800H "in the shack" and it didn't go very
> well...  obviously my signal into the repeater sucks on the HT.

I do a fair amount of testing with the repeater here and it works okay
(but it's much slower due to the delays).  There was a bug a bit ago
where D-RATS tried to recover from a missed block too quickly and kept
clashing with the repeater's delayed transmission.  That seems to be
fixed now.

> I attempted various things, including sending chat messages and
> "connecting" to both my home station and another person's.  His
> station completely stopped responding after it listed his
> files... like it got caught in some never-never land after my signal
> was bad.  And the home station was so close (I was out on the front
> sidewalk), that it was desensing the HT something fierce.

Okay, a debug log from the remote station that stopped responding
might be helpful if it really did start ignoring you.

De-sense seems to be a pretty large problem with a D-STAR signal.
Since the data side gets no error correction, it is extremely
sensitive to such things.  I've found that an almost unnoticeable
amount of de-sense on the DV voice or FM side will result in an almost
useless data stream.