[drats_users] Asus Eee PC d-Rats Installation - SUCCESS!

Jim Harris
Tue Sep 30 18:10:28 PDT 2008

Dan,

Well, can you see the big broad grin on my face... ;-)

I went and got your latest beta - b3, did the usual routine, and.....it
works!

That screen coming up is the prettiest thing I ever did see!

Then, to really get daring...I had picked up a USB <-> Serial dongle tonight
- an IOGear brand one. Plugged it in...went into the configuration page on
dRats...set data to the /dev/TTYUSB0....set baud rate to 38400 (for the
IC-92AD)...saved it...and...I was able to send a message to our D-Star
repeater echo node, and the message transmitted and came back properly! That
was the acid test.

As far as geocode functionality....don't need it at the present.

I want to thank you for all your patience and support...you're super! In
return, I will try to get my experiences up on the Wiki in the next couple
of days so others can share the benefits. I already registered earlier today
to be able to edit the Wiki. Just one question....do you want me to put it
in the install page, under the Linux section? I am not a very experienced
Wiki contributor, so if it comes out looking a bit odd, feel free to change
it...no sensitive feelings here.

Again...thanks for your help!

73,
Jim