[drats_users] Alabama Plans for D-Star Usage during SET (October 4, 2008)

Nate Duehr
Tue Sep 30 14:51:43 PDT 2008

Les Rayburn wrote:
> As most of you know, the successful use of the D-Star system during a
> state wide event requires routing users and repeaters to a common
> "reflector" through the gateway. Unfortunately, the number of these
> reflectors are limited. Like an net frequency on HF, there is no such
> thing as "owning" a reflector for your exclusive use. It's very much
> first come-first served.

Not to argue, but just pointing out, I think there's 11 Reflectors now
with 3 sub-channels on each.

So we're almost to a point where there would be a Reflector channel PER
STATE available...

And unless we're talking nuclear war, the chances that any disaster
would befall the entire continental U.S. are pretty slim...

So... I don't think there's really a "problem" here, other than
coordination of resources.

Knowing who "owned" each Reflector and where they're located (in
general, in case the ISP that's hosting them really doesn't want someone
to know) and having a way to communicate with each Reflector owner about
things would be nice.

The location data is important, because the Reflectors are often
overseas at this point in time.

We set up a way to forward messages to all Reflector and node owners on
http://status.irlp.net for the IRLP network YEARS ago, and it allows
people to send messages to the owners without giving away their e-mail
addresses, etc...

Would be nice if dstarusers.org had similar properties.  But... then
again, sometimes it's difficult to even find out who's in charge of THAT
site, let alone the Gateways and Reflectors...

All that's really needed is a "D-STAR Reflector Info" web page, and
someone to go track down all the owners and ask for contact info, but it
sure would be better if that page was at a "central" location like
dstarusers.org or similar...

How do we get this done?  (I have a feeling that we don't... not without
help from the Reflector owners or Robin.)

Nate WY0X