[drats_users] Slow Speed Data over reflectors

Nate Duehr
Mon Sep 29 11:19:16 PDT 2008

>     The reason is, DV "frames" are used (you can key up the mic and start
>     talking at the same time as you're sending a file in D-RATS, try it
>     sometime), and inside the DV frames, there's continuous 1200 bps
>     data.  They're really voice frames, and there's data always "riding
>     along" in them, most of the time unused.

 > You can NOT send at the same time as typing. If have been testing this
 > for months now.

The protocol (DV) is a continuous voice and data stream.  There's NO
technical reason that both can't be sent at the same time.

 > Not until you let up the PTT it will NOT send unless it is a
 > COPY/PASTE with ATX OFF.

Sounds like the implementation inside the rigs is broken if it's acting
that way.  I'll test.

 > Then, you can not do FILE transfers with ATX OFF.

You can, but it'd be highly annoying because you'd have to keep
continually keying the rigs on both ends.  Also if the application
overruns the buffer in the rig, it won't work.

 > Also, try going through a reflector not gateway-to-gateway or
 > radio-to-radio.

Not sure what this has to do with the discussion about DV vs. DD and the
usage of the proper names of the protocols.  Could we stick to ONE topic
at a time or start a new thread?

I'm pretty good about multitasking, but I can't keep up with your
jumping from topic to topic in the same e-mail.

DD = 1.2 GHz high speed data frames.
DV = VHF/UHF/1.2 Voice - Low speed frames that interlace voice and
low-speed data 100% of the time.

Which part of that were you refuting?

There's a few aspects to this when in practice:

- The DV protocol allows for continuous voice/data multiplexing whenever
the rig is transmitting.
- Just because the protocol allows something, doesn't mean the rigs
implement it.
- The rigs have to buffer (or not) the data being sent at them by an
application when they're NOT transmitting, and send it later.  (Half-duplex)

None of the above changes the protocols.  DD is DD, and DV is DV.

You are describing how the RIGS implement them, which is fine, but we
should be clear that we're not discussing the SAME things here.

Nate WY0X