[drats_users] D-RATS Now Fails to Run

Dan Smith
Sun Sep 28 15:23:13 PDT 2008

> I've been using D-RATS with absolutely no issues since the "early days". I've also been
> using the latest 0.2.6 version since the day it was released. It was working just fine
> yesterday, then when I tried running it today, no joy.

My guess from the error message is that some station jumped into the
list with some invalid characters that is making the config file not load.

So, please do the following:

1. Go to start->run and type "%APPDATA%\D-RATS" and hit enter
2. In the folder that opens up, copy out the d-rats.config file and send
   it to me
3. Nuke the .config file and D-RATS will start (without all your
   previous settings).

This should (if my assumption is correct) get you out of your current
jam and let me take a look at what happened so I can fix it for next time.

> Any ideas about what's going on? I've tried reinstalling with no luck.

Just for everyone's information, D-RATS is not like most Windows
applications out there.  Reinstalling is almost never going to fix an
issue.  If it does, you either have some malware on your system or a
dying hard drive :)