[drats_users] D-Rats v0.2.7b2 Latest Version Testing

Dennis Rogers
Thu Sep 25 08:40:47 PDT 2008

*Dan,

        Tony, KG4EXA, Evan, KD4EFM, and myself have been concentrating on
sending text, files, and especially FORMS through
gateways, and gateways hooked to a busy reflector such as REF001 C while
testing on REF001 B versus REF004 which has less
traffic. Also, we tested while others not the person being sent to keyed up
and talked verses just key up. This simulates interruptions
while the transfer is taking place by others.
*
   * RESULTS:

         1.  First, interruptions will cause immediate failure of transfer
every time.

         2.  Busy reflectors are a real problem and cause transfer failures
most times.

         3.  Quite reflectors seem to speed up the transfers and offer a
more controllable environment.

     Test Data Results:

Busy Reflector (90% Failed)

                              Best Results      '896' Block Size and
Pipeline '5'  (defaults always failed)        yields 38.47 B/s
                           Worse Results**    '1280' Block Size and Pipeline
'2'  (    "           "          "     )        yields 13.71 B/s*
*

Quiet Reflector (98% Completed)

                              Best Results**      '896' Block Size and
Pipeline '10'  (defaults always failed)        yields 39.48 B/s* **
*                           Worse Results**      '768' Block Size and
Pipeline '11'  (    "           "          "     )        yields 38.43 B/s*
*

** denotes - best overall throughput and repeatability.

Equipment used :

           TX User #1 (KD4EFM-Evan)                 IC-2820

           TX User #2 (KG4EXA-Tony)                 not sure

           RX User (N5VRP-Dennis)                    IC-2200H

We used REF001 B with traffic occurring 100% on REF001C, then we used REF004
with absolutely no traffic.

*Tony, Evan add to this if you have other inputs as this is what I have
written down from the RX point of view.

--
Regards,

Dennis, N5VRP
n5vrp.satx at gmail.com

Dstar User / Gateway Admin / D-PRS Provider
ARRL Member
Cactus-Intertie Member
AMSAT Member, President's Club

73's from SATX, EL09rk