[drats_users] DRats on an Asus Eee PC 2G Surf

Dan Smith
Thu Sep 25 13:40:05 PDT 2008

> I wonder if anyone has tried running dRats on this platform. I have
> verified that Python is included on the distribution on the machine. I
> have looked over Dan's install pages, and under a Linux environment, it
> is assumed you know what you are doing, and I freely admit, I don't.

I configured one for a friend locally a few weeks back.  The standard
environment on the eee is not very robust (meaning there's not an easy
way to install packages, etc), but it has a lot of potential to be.

If you google for instructions on enabling "desktop mode", that's a good
start.  After that, there are a number of packages that must be
installed to be able to run D-RATS.  You install a package foo by doing:

   apt-get install foo

I don't remember all of the packages that you need, but some to start
with would be:

   python-serial, python-libxml2, python-libxslt

If you'll transfer the .tar.gz file to the eee, extract it with "tar xzf
d-rats-0.2.x.tar.gz" and then run d-rats (./d-rats should do it), you'll
get errors about packages you need.  If you can walk me through each of
those messages, we can get all the packages that you need installed.
Documenting this on the wiki would be good too, as I'm sure others with
similar machines would be interested.

If all of the above sounds scary to the windows user inside of you, fear
not, we'll get you there :)