[drats_users] E-Mail SMPTE Connection

Terry Breitenfeldt
Tue Sep 23 21:39:56 PDT 2008

>From an ECOMM perspective,  I'd like to see D-RATS interface with WINLINK, the
way AIRMAIL and PACLINK does.

I really like the way AIRMAIL gives you the option of sending ordinary email via Radio
or Internet connection, with an easy to use interface.  It dovetails into an exsiting worldwide
network, that allows you to pick up your email via radio or web page.  It also incorporates a
white list feature that prevents most spam email from entering the system, as you must send an
email to your target recipient before they can send one to you.

I think having AIRMAIL "like" capability, but using a D-Star radio, is a key feature thats missing
from the landscape, and could really benefit ECOMM.  No reason to totally re-invent the wheel,
the infrastucture is already in place.  I think D-Star has the potential to replace Packet Modems
for emergency communications, especially if you can add some sort of store and forward capabilty.

Having "one" radio that can do Voice and send Email (with WINLINK) is the holy grail for our ARES
team. We would no longer need to purchase one radio for voice, plus a separate Radio and
expensive Kantronics modem.  A D-Star radio, with the right software, could accomplish both
functions at the same time.

Thanks,

Terry - N7EXB