[drats_users] Maps/how to display/where's the cache?

Dan Smith
Fri Sep 19 16:10:57 PDT 2008

> I don't seem to be using maps correctly. When I open the Map window,
> all I get is "no data" and one plotted point at (I think) 0 degrees
> Lat/Long. This is what the ME data line says, even though I've put in
> my data as (near) 39N 77.5W

Okay, I think I still have the annoying little issue of not replotting
the "me" marker until restart.

> My laptop is normally not connected to the internet; but last evening
> hooked up, used the Map Downloader, and saw the progress bar which
> went to completion. Shut down the laptop and hooked it up to the
> ID-800H. Then let it run for a bit and opened up the Map window.
> Still no map graphics.

Okay, the map somewhat assumes you're connected to the internet.  The
easiest way to get some maps and make sure things are working is to plug
it into the internet and open the map.  Don't use the map downloader
just yet.  The map window in D-RATS itself will fetch what it needs when
it needs it.  If that works, then moving on to the map downloader would
be a good idea.

> If I look on the hard drive, to where did the map graphics data get
> downloaded?

I wouldn't make too much of this.  The files that are downloaded are
lots and lots of tiny image files with numeric names that correspond to
tile locations based on a mapping scheme.  You can see if some are
there, but it won't tell you if it's getting them for the right spot or not.

If you can, set your lat/lon correctly in the settings and then start up
D-RATS while connected to the internet and open the map.  It should
fetch maps for you as needed, which will then be resident for the future.

Let us know if this does or does not work for you.