[drats_users] Gateway Testing

Dan Smith
Sat Sep 6 18:02:02 PDT 2008

Hi all,

I spent the last 24 hours or so working on getting a gateway up.  I'm
pretty sure I have less hair than I used to, but it's up and working
now.  Dave Cooley WA4DOC was kind enough to field a first-ever gateway
call from me.

While we were on, we did a little D-RATS testing over the gateway.  We
were able to send chat messages, GPS beacons, pings, images, and forms.
 Aside from one corrupted block, everything seemed to work just fine.  I
believe he was using direct callsign routing, and I was using /KJ4ACN to
his repeater.

There didn't *appear* to be much of a difference in the response time,
as far as D-RATS being too quick to send something back on the heels of
the repeater tail.  I assume this is quite different with a reflector
though.

So, I propose that we schedule some time on a reflector to do some more
testing.  I will see about adding a delay knob or two to let us tweak
the behavior before that time.  My first available significant block of
time would be this coming Friday at about 23:00 UTC.  I know nothing
about how the reflectors work, so I'll need some instruction ahead of
time :)

Any takers?