[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.6b6

Dan Smith
Mon Oct 20 08:03:11 PDT 2008

> I am at one of the higher points in Sussex Co. NJ. We do not have a
> repeater here in the county. If I could find someone a bit closer to 2
> D-STAR repeater to Digi we could get out to the rest of the world. If I
> put up a better coax and antenna system there is a good chance I could
> hit a Gateway. If I could act as a digi for other D-RATS simplex users
> we could handle RACES and ARES traffic for the County through my Digi to
> a Gateway. Digi to Digi to Gateway just like APRS.

We don't really have a repeater here either.  For the last year, we've
been operating completely simplex.  We can't all talk to each other
because of distance and propagation.  However, we forward messages
around to each other all the time.

D-RATS doesn't currently do any amount of automatic store-and-forward,
so it doesn't really matter if you have a repeater or not.  You can
create, for example, a form on one machine, forward it to whoever you
can hear, they can forward it further, etc.