[drats_users] TCP socket test

IZ5FSA
Mon Dec 22 08:41:22 PST 2008

> What hung up?  RXCluster?

Yes. But server station continue sending packets... Client side terminate
session before server side.

> The socket forwarding was intended to forward something like SMTP which
> is active until it closes the session.  To prevent sockets from being
> held open, the session logic terminates if there is no activity after a
> certain amount of time.  This is probably not an appropriate assumption
> for the spot case, because you're often waiting a while before more
> traffic comes.  I can see about making that a settable parameter.

Old AX.25 protocol prevented this problem with "polls exchange" that means: "are
you ready" - "yes I am"... and after some calls with no answer connection were
closed. You have implemented SMTP and POP features in a separate part of
D-RATS... why not review the "general puorpose" TCP socket feature? You had to
develope a "special protocol" to use this feature, I think... and act a server
like a packet node... it will be a good bridge packet<->DSTAR... BBS, DxCluster,
radioIRC... you can even "emulate" ax.25 connections... why not?

> The "download directory" under "Paths" in the settings dialog controls
> where the files are offered from.

So if I want to share files I can put it there. Ok. But about forms... I suggest
this feature need to be review... if I don't need/want every station look at my
messages???

> Correct.  The protocol actually allows for one station to ask for the
> position of another station, but I haven't yet added support for that in
> the GUI.

Ok, tell me what you want me write on feature request page.

73s de Leo, IZ5FSA