[drats_users] TCP socket test

Dan Smith
Mon Dec 22 07:01:27 PST 2008

> From Win to Linux no connection was possible with Putty. With
> RXCluster (the very latest version) I was able to connect and see
> spots but not to send commands... it hung up!!

What hung up?  RXCluster?

> From Linux to Win no connection have been made with Putty (linux
> version). With Xdx I was able to see only three spots... no more.
>
> Every time the server side "D-RATS machine" send packet continuously.
> I need to abort the session to try again.

The socket forwarding was intended to forward something like SMTP which
is active until it closes the session.  To prevent sockets from being
held open, the session logic terminates if there is no activity after a
certain amount of time.  This is probably not an appropriate assumption
for the spot case, because you're often waiting a while before more
traffic comes.  I can see about making that a settable parameter.

> I've tried newest features available (RPC) and I've seen working
> properly the "get form", but the "get file"... I don't understand one
> thing: "where" is the directory located?

The "download directory" under "Paths" in the settings dialog controls
where the files are offered from.

> Latest one... "request position" work only with d-rats stations...
> not with d-rats objects created by stations... I've setted up an
> auto-qst DPS message to send my Radio Club position (IQ5BL) and if I
> ask to IQ5BL a "request position", with my IZ5FSA-9 station, the
> station IZ5FSA who own the object don't answer.

Correct.  The protocol actually allows for one station to ask for the
position of another station, but I haven't yet added support for that in
the GUI.