[drats_users] TCP socket test

Dan Smith
Tue Dec 23 07:55:47 PST 2008

> Old AX.25 protocol prevented this problem with "polls exchange" that
> means: "are you ready" - "yes I am"... and after some calls with no
> answer connection were closed.

Right, D-RATS already does this.  However, doing that to determine
whether or not to maintain an open but idle connection is somewhat
superfluous and could get in the way of voice traffic unnecessarily.

> You have implemented SMTP and POP features in a separate part of
> D-RATS... why not review the "general puorpose" TCP socket feature?
> You had to develope a "special protocol" to use this feature, I
> think...

No, the integrated mail features use the existing form transfer session
to do the work.

> and act a server like a packet node... it will be a good bridge
> packet<->DSTAR... BBS, DxCluster, radioIRC... you can even "emulate"
> ax.25 connections... why not?

I could, but it's definitely a significant amount of  work.  To my
knowledge, you're the only person using D-STAR for DX spots, so I don't
think it's in high demand :)

I think that the proper thing to do here is to set the idle timeout on
socket sessions to be unlimited.  If the socket is truly idle, then it
will stay open forever.  If one side tries to send data and the other
side has disappeared, the session will close after it tries to send the
new data.  I'll see about putting that in for the next version.

> So if I want to share files I can put it there. Ok. But about
> forms... I suggest this feature need to be review... if I don't
> need/want every station look at my messages???

Well, for what we use it for, I don't think anyone will be storing
private messages.  However, it's a fair point.

What I need to do is add something that allows a mroe intelligent
listing.  Something to the effect of "list all forms addressed to my
station".  Once I have that, I can add a configuration element that only
allows the per-station form list operation, if desired.

> Ok, tell me what you want me write on feature request page.

That's okay.  I'll add it soon, so no need to add it to the feature
page.  It's something I've been wanting to add when I get some time.