[drats_users] D-RATS 0.2.9b1

Dan Smith
Tue Dec 9 20:30:31 PST 2008

> 1. The selection of whether an incoming email is either directed to a
> specific station or sent our in Braodcast (chat) mode is made at the account
> level. Correct?

Yep.

> 2. The email access function allows the "Gateway Station" to set permissions
> by call sign either incoming , outgoing or both. Correct?

Right, specifying whether a station can send email from RF->Internet,
receive mail from Internet->RF (automatically), or both.

Forms that come in for a station that doesn't have automatic forwarding
permissions can still be send manually via the usual method.

> 3. When an incoming email is received to an account that is set up for
> "form" relay, an email form will be generated and sent to the station in the
> "to" field of the email if that station is allowed incoming email access.
> Correct?

Yes.

> 4. Given that the answer to the previous question is yes, incoming mail can
> only be relayed as a "form" to a specific station if it is in reply to an
> original outgoing message as the "to" header has that stations call sign.
> Correct?

Right, the incoming mail processing logic has to have some way to know
that the email is destined for a specific station.

> 5. If I am following this correctly, there is no way to send a "form" email
> to a specific station from a regular email client as the "to" field would
> only have the account name (i.e. donotreply at danplanet.com) in it and not
> KK7DS (donotreply at danplanet.com)

There is, if you're careful.  If you type the following into your
address field of your mail client exactly, then it should behave properly:

  N4DIB <davesrfgateway at gmail.com>

Then it will work.  I can work out some other ways to specify the
recipient, like a special tag in the subject, etc.  However, as you
said, replies will work as expected.

Further, if you add an address book entry and set the "name" field to
exactly the person's callsign, and the "address" field to the gateway
email address, then you should be set as well.

> I have not yet had time to test it, but will do so tomorrow. I will let you
> know of my findings.

Great, thanks!