[chirp_users] No Download from Kenwood TM-D700a

Dan Smith dsmith at danplanet.com
Mon Mar 4 17:55:13 PST 2024

> Dan, you identified the problem for me. I had the radio in TNC PKT mode,
> looked up in the manual how to take it out of that mode and Chirp promptly
> populated. It did click my Flex PTT, but as you said, that was momentary
> with no ill effect. I was already using the cable I got from BlueMax49ers
> made for the TM-D700 so I was fairly sure it was terminated properly for
> that radio. I'd even talked by phone with Mark there, who told me about
> having to use the legacy Chirp for this radio and that's what's working for
> me.

Okay, very glad you got it working, and glad your cable is intended for the D700 itself. That makes things easier.

I definitely disagree about the recommendation for legacy though - "next" has a ton of fixes for this driver, among others. It might have other bugs, but I'll gladly fix them if you report them as I own this radio and want it to work. Legacy will get no further fixes *and* has known bugs that can cause real problems, so I do not recommend it for anything other than the most dire of circumstances at this point.

--Dan