[chirp_users] Baofeng 'waterproof' models

Dan Smith dsmith at danplanet.com
Thu Feb 29 16:00:19 PST 2024

> Doesn't program digital functions on an FT-70. Doesn't even ack that digital mode exists.

Yep, the FT-70 driver author has been kinda MIA for a while, and there are issues stacking up for that radio, including these two specifically calling out missing DN mode:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/10587
https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/8917

TBH, I kinda got the impression that the FT-70 driver isn't working for newer radios after some firmware change based on reports like this:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/9471
https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/8933
https://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/10473

but if it's working for you, that's good to know. If I had one, I'd surely add DN support. If you want to capture some images with channels in DN and not DN mode to attach to one of the mode support issues, it's possible that it could even be sussed out remotely.

But, DN mode is supported for all its brothers, the FT-1, FT-2, and FT-3. The model matrix for the latest build shows 27 radios that support D-STAR and 11 that support YSF:

https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_next/next-20240229/model_support.html

All I'm asking is: let's not say things like "CHIRP doesn't support any digital mode radios". You said "often" which is certainly less than "any" (although not sure it's really supported by the data), but fair enough :)

--Dan