[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R8W Repeater Config Error

Jim Unroe rock.unroe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 08:13:07 PST 2024

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 10:41 AM A Boer <aboertus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good day, CHIRP Users!  I am having some trouble using CHIRP with some new radios I am trying to program.  Simply put, I cannot get the repeater channels to work.  I downloaded the .img file from one radio into CHIRP, copied and pasted the repeater configuration from the CHIRP list of repeaters and pasted it into my .img file, then uploaded the .img file into both radios.  The radios will not talk to each other through the repeater.  I have gory details with screenshots and radio display pictures in the attached .jpg files.  If anyone has the time to review those details and has some ideas on how to fix this problem, I would certainly appreciate the feedback.  Thank you for your time.
>
> Alex Boerner
> KJ7CPZ

These radios don't use SFT-D or OFFSET in programmed channels. It is
for this reason that these menus are always set to OFF when the radio
is in MR (channel) mode. See my detailed menu reference for the
BF-F8HP available from the miklor.com radio information website.

https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_MenuDef.php

What these radios use is the RX frequency along with the direct TX
frequency. CHIRP allows you to program it as Duplex = + and Offset =
5.000000, but then it calculates the actual TX frequency and stores
that instead and sends it to the radio because that is what the radio
uses. If you tap the [*] to put the radio into "reverse mode" the
display should change from 444.875 to 449.875 if it is programmed
correctly. Tap the [*] a second time to exit "reverse mode".

Assuming that the 100.0 Hz CTCSS tone is correct for this repeater,
then something else other than programming is the issue.