[chirp_users] Chirp On Puppy Linux

Stuart Longland VK4MSL
Sat Mar 25 16:36:36 PDT 2023

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023 20:51:30 -0500
Jeffrey Vian <sandhillsinvestment at gmail.com> wrote:

> I installed python3-pip, then as my user I installed chirp-next as my
> regular user using pip.
> Will need to check my notes and verify the steps on  a new clean install of
> Fedora 37 and Chirp-next.  (you did not note the OS you are running, but I
> assume it is linux.)

Actually, he did in the subject line.  The Puppy Linux site is
https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/

That said, it appears there's multiple "flavours" of that distribution,
some of which are Debian/Ubuntu based and some are Slackware based.
(There's a blast from the past!  Slackware would be what, 31 years old
now?)

So more detail might be needed.  Off the top of my head though, I'd
check for:

- wxWidgets libraries
- wxPython, if it's compiled, otherwise grab wxWidgets development
  libraries and a compiler.
- ensure you have `pip` installed for Python 3

The exact commands will differ depending on the base OS being used.
Debian/Ubuntu derivatives, one should be able to use `apt`'s commands
(i.e. `apt-cache search` / `apt-get install`).  For Slackware, you'll
need to use Slackware's tools (`pkgtool`).

If all of that is in place, you _should_ be able to run
`python3 -m pip install --user requirements.txt` to install the Python
module dependencies into your local user's home directory.

Then you should be able to run Chirp with `./chirpwx.py`, or install it
into your home directory with `python3 setup.py install --user`.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.