[chirp_users] chirp-next Repeater Book options

Lynda Leung
Sat Jan 7 12:38:59 PST 2023

> On Jan 7, 2023, at 11:37 AM, Dan Smith via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>
>> My apologies, I actually meant to say RepeaterBook.   Not sure what sort of brain dyslexia cause me to mixed the two up.
>> But I guess this filter is a new feature added in the newer build .  Prior which I think only had a latitude and longitude boxes.
>> The new filters are pretty nice, and indeed much better as a zip codes filter does not necessarily fine tune the search results as good.
>
> Yep, I added the search filter after the previous discussion here. Glad it's working for you :)
>
>> However, I do notice another useful filter that might be useful. Band filter?
>> But instead of a drop down menu, perhaps  it could come in a form of checkbox so that one can select just 2m and 70cm or whatever band combination to be included?
>> Persistence state that it would remember the next time use it, and an all / none button? Maybe not really need it , as realistically there really aren’t that many bands be a chore to select.
>
> Yeah, I've thought about this, but the bands differ across the globe. Listing them all would be a chore, selecting more than one makes the interface complex and larger. I haven't moved on anything for this yet just because I can't think of the best way to represent it.
>
> Out of curiosity, and I know this sounds strange, but.. why do you want to filter that way? I say that because I never just query a source and then dump all the results into my radio - I pick the one I'm looking for, or the ones in the area where I'm going. Also, almost everything in my area is 2m/70cm, so filtering out all but those would not change the list a whole lot. I guess maybe if you're looking for only 2m repeaters you might not want to see all the 70cm ones?

The check all or none selection mostly for lazy bulk selection or deselection.  As for why I would have a selection , where I live and the place I’ve been traveling to tends to have a large variety of different bands.  In the San Francisco bay area, there’s lot to pick through for un/wanted results.    Legacy version allowed me to say just grab just 220 bands, or sort by frequencies via memory slots page, and trim out what I need and dont need.  Chirp-Next doesnt seem to have either functions.  Its more a quality of life thing, I guess?

> Anyway, please do open a feature request and I'll do some more thinking. If other people have thoughts on this, let me know.

I’ll do that, and my best to articulate the logic around it.

Lynda