[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

David Boucha
Tue Jan 3 11:10:13 PST 2023

Hi Glenn,

These are the steps I took to install Chirp manually on Ubuntu 22.04

Steps to install Chirp manually on Linux.

1. Make sure you have at least Python 3.7 installed.

     A. Type "python" in a command line terminal.

     B. Some Linux distros require using "python3". If your distro requires
this, please type "python3" anywhere in this document that you see "python"
2. run "pip --version" to see what python version pip is. You may need to
run "pip3" if your distro requires you also use "python3".

3. Open a browser and navigate to https://github.com/kk7ds/chirp

4. Click on the green "<> Code" button dropdown.

5. Click on "Download Zip" and save the zip file to your preferred
location.
6. My file saved as "chirp-master.zip"

7. Unzip the zip file with the following command:

    A. "unzip chirp-master.zip"

8. Change into the resulting chirp-master directory:

    A. "cd chirp-master"

9. Pip install Chirp's dependencies:

    A. "pip install -r requirements.txt

10. Install Chirp:

    A. "python setup.py install"

11. Now you can start chirp by running "chirp" from the command line.

Note: On ubuntu 22.04 you might have to install "python3-wxgtk4.0" before
the pip install step.

Let me know if this helps. Orca was able to read me the menu items while I
moved around chirp with my arrow keys.