[chirp_users] New chirp-next build

Dan Smith
Mon Jan 2 08:28:06 PST 2023

> I've been playing around with the new Chirp. I like that the import from
> RepeaterBook includes an option for coordinates, but I wish the previous
> import options were kept. When I'm preparing for a trip, I'm more likely
> to know the county or zip code of my destination than I am the
> coordinates. Yes, I can get the coordinates, but it's more cumbersome
> (YMMV). However, if I need to make changes once I'm at my destination,
> finding coordinates is much easier,  but then I can just use the
> RepeaterBook app instead.

Okay, I generally find it harder to figure out the county of a remote location, as I usually have to find a town's web page or something, which sometimes links to their county site. Or find a county map and guess where I'm going. Going to google maps, clicking on a place and grabbing the coordinates is easier (for me). Also, sorting by coordinates means I have a much better idea how far repeaters are from where I'm going to be, since I won't know any of the local names. I actually rarely used the chirp query for travel for this reason, but find the new one a lot more helpful.

Searching by zip code is only supported (currently, could change) in the special repeaterbook chirp interface, but we don't get the richer data from their API that way. The new interface lets us show nearby landmarks, towns, *and* the coordinates of the repeater so we can sort by distance. Geocoding coordinates from zipcode actually costs money (the USPS charges *annually* for access to that information, if you can believe it).

That said, please open a Feature Request for this and include the above justification and I'll see what I can do.

--Dan