[chirp_users] Changing data Baofeng UV5

Julian Macassey
Sat Feb 18 02:21:20 PST 2023

On 2023-02-17 at 12:35, Jim Unroe (rock.unroe at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 10:36 AM Julian Macassey <julian at n6are.com> wrote:
> >

> >         Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Most likely. For example, what many UV-5R owners will do when they use
> CHRP for the first time is to add alpha tags (names) to each of the
> programmed memories. After they've added the names in CHIRP and
> uploaded the changes to the radio, they expect to see the names
> displayed in the radio. When they don't they mistakenly think that
> CHIRP somehow didn't work. The real problem is that they never changed
> the radio's Memory Display Format to "NAME" so that the radio would
> display them.
>
> Using the radio's keypad:
> Menu 21 (MDF-A): CH | NAME | FREQ
> Menu 22 (MDF-B): CH | NAME | FREQ
>
> Or from within CHIRP:
> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (A): Channel | Name | Frequency
> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (B): Channel | Name | Frequency

	I show:
 Display Mode (A) Name
 Display Mode (B) Name
> This is most likely your situation.

	So here's what happens:

MR shows V16 (Channel name in but VFO shows 146.460 in my
worksheet. Shown on CHIRP it is 145.200 which is what I want.

	I save the file with 145.200 V16 on the worksheet, then I
do Radio > Upload I still get the right channel name, but the
wromng Freq on my radio.

	Do I have to change Display Mode (A) Name to Frequency?

Simply put Chanel Name can be changed, but not the Freq.

No matter what I do, I can't change the freq.

--
"Every Hollywood film is a remake of a previous film or a TV
series everyone hated in the 1960s." - Alan Moore, Guardian, Dec