[chirp_users] is chirp_next recommended for production use?

Greg Troxel
Sat Aug 26 05:01:35 PDT 2023

Dan via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> writes:

Thanks for the quick reply.

> I’ll answer that by quoting directly from yesterday’s release email:
>
>> Unless you have a reason not to, we recommend using the latest build of CHIRP-next at all times.
>
> And from the download page:
>
>> The CHIRP team recommends CHIRP-next unless you experience problems with your radio
>
> And from further down the download page:
>
>> It is not advised to use CHIRP-legacy unless you have a specific reason to do so.

I have been just updating from the emails and not looking at the
download page.  But yes I should have looked harder.

> In case you missed it, chirp-daily is no more, and chirp-legacy is the last (ever) build of the old codebase.

I indeed did miss it.  My perhaps-faulty memory is that last time I
contemplated this question was soon in chirp-next evolution and it
wasn't ready to serve to random users yet.

I didn't perceive an announcement of the big shift to "this is now the
stable version" on the list -- but that could certainly be my fault for
not noticing.  To me this is am momentous bit flip.

I will therefore update pkgsrc from daily to next.  The package is just
called chirp with release number YYYYMMDD, so the daily/next isn't that
visible to pkgsrc users.

Not important, but I wonder if next going to remain "next" indefinitely.
It sort of implies "this is a beta towards a future release".