[chirp_users] is chirp_next recommended for production use?

Dan
Fri Aug 25 17:53:30 PDT 2023

> I know this project doesn't believe in releases, but pkgsrc currently
> provides a package with a date as the version.

This project believes in maintaining stability at all times, releasing early and releasing often. Each day there is a change we cut a release and we expect it to be better and more stable than the last, which is why nothing merges without passing tests and without the expectation that the change is usable and an improvement over what is already there.

> Because chirp-next is labeled next, we are still providing the old codebase, which has not
> seen an update in a long time.

Not only has it not seen a release in a long time, but it isn’t supported at all by the developers, and isn’t recommended for anyone unless they have some (regression) reason to use it.

> Should we consider the latest chirp-next to be the releaes of record and
> provide it to users, vs the latest chirp-daily?

I’ll answer that by quoting directly from yesterday’s release email:

> Unless you have a reason not to, we recommend using the latest build of CHIRP-next at all times.

And from the download page:

> The CHIRP team recommends CHIRP-next unless you experience problems with your radio

And from further down the download page:

> It is not advised to use CHIRP-legacy unless you have a specific reason to do so.

In case you missed it, chirp-daily is no more, and chirp-legacy is the last (ever) build of the old codebase.

—-Dan